Shrimp & Grits
Serves 8 to 10
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh red and yellow bell pepper blend
- 1⁄8 cup finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 large tomato, diced (approximately ¾ cup)
- 2 lbs. raw, peeled and deveined shrimp, thawed
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbl. Italian seasoning
- 1 tbl. crawfish, crab, shrimp boil seasoning (Louisiana Fish Fry Brand)
- 1 tbl. dried basil
- 1 tbl. Garlic & Herb Seasoning (Frank’s brand)
- 1 cup plus ½ cup heavy whipping cream, divided
- 8 ozs. shredded Parmesan cheese
- 8 ozs. shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 8 ozs. shredded pepper Jack cheese
- Cooked grits
1. Melt butter over medium-high heat in an 8-quart stock pot.
2. Add peppers, garlic, onion and tomatoes. Sauté until onions turn translucent, approximately 5 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook until they turn a light pink (about 4-5 minutes).
3. While stirring the mixture, add the flour slowly and continue stirring until blended. Add the rest of the dry seasonings. Stir in 1 cup heavy whipping cream. When mixture starts to simmer, reduce heat to low. Add all of the cheeses and stir. Add remaining ½ cup of heavy cream and continue to stir gently until the cheese is melted (about 8-10 minutes). If a thinner consistency is desired, add more cream, an ounce at a time.
4. Serve over hot cooked grits.